Blue Steel products provide an evenly heated and non-stick cooking surface and if well maintained will last for many years. Blue steel cookware must be well seasoned before use and maintained with ongoing care and regular seasoning to retain its non-stick surface and to prevent the product from rusting. If seasoned and cared for correctly your blue steel cookware can last a lifetime.
When your blue steel product is delivered it may be covered in an oily or greasy coating from the manufacturing process, this coating should be removed before you season the product. Follow these instructions to season your cookware.
1) Soak the item in hot soapy water for 5-10 minutes then scrub using a scouring pad. Rinse off the soap and let the item air dry.
2) Fully dry the cookware by placing it in the oven for a few minutes (in the next step you will apply oil which needs to soak into the metal for a good seasoning – oil and water don’t mix).
3) Coat the product (inside and out) with lard, vegetable oil, corn oil or flaxseed oil.
4) Place the item, upside down, in the oven at a high temp. (300°F - 500°F / 150°C - 260°C) for at least an hour. This will bake on a ‘seasoning’ cover that will continue to protect the pan from rust and provide a non-stick surface. Turn off the oven and let the product cool to room temperature in the oven.
5) For best results it is recommended that steps 2, 3 and 4 are repeated.
Maintain your cookware with ongoing care. Every time you wash your item, season it without fail by following these steps:
- Place it on the stove and pour in approx. ¾ teaspoon of corn oil (or other cooking fat).
- Use kitchen paper to spread the oil over the cooking surface, any bare surfaces, and the bottom of the cookware.
- Turn on the hob and heat until smoke starts to appear (if you are using an electric stove, heat slowly as hot spots and crack blue steel).
- Cover the item and turn off the heat. Leave until cooled before placing in storage (wipe off any excess oil with clean, dry kitchen paper before storing).